– Vision & Mission
The Canadian Association of Midwives (CAM) is the national organization representing midwives and the profession of midwifery in Canada. The mission of CAM is to provide leadership and advocacy for midwifery as a regulated, publicly funded and vital part of the primary maternity care system in all provinces and territories. CAM promotes the development of the profession in the public interest and contributes the midwifery perspective to the national health policy agenda.
The vision of the Canadian Association of Midwives is that midwifery is fundamental to maternal and newborn health services, and that every woman in Canada will have access to a midwife’s care for herself and her baby.
Updated and adopted by the CAM Board in November 2008.
Values and Beliefs
The Canadian Association of Midwives believes that:
- Midwifery care promotes and facilitates the normal, healthy process of pregnancy, childbirth and breastfeeding and supports women’s confidence in their own abilities.
- Midwives are expert primary care providers for women anticipating a low risk pregnancy and birth, and can optimize the childbirth experience for women at all risk levels.
- Partnership with women, continuity of care, informed choice, choice of birthplace and community-based services are fundamental to high quality midwifery care in Canada.
- Midwifery care should be universally accessible to Canadian women, regardless of socio-economic circumstances.
- All maternity care providers must respect and embrace human dignity and diversity in every facet of their work with clients and colleagues.
- Effective, sustainable maternity care must centre on the self-determined needs of women, families and communities and support birth as close to home as possible.
- Midwives must be full partners in developing and implementing the public policy agenda on maternity and newborn care and health human resource planning.
- Midwives globally play an essential role in promoting health and reducing maternal and infant morbidity and mortality.
- The potential of midwifery to enhance the wellbeing of women, families and the society should be valued and promoted.
Adopted by the CAM Board November 2009 Back to top